Thursday, August 25, 2011

Running and the Journey!

***Just to preface for once this post will not be about my kids...shocker I know (ha ha ha!)

Well I am just over a month away from the St. George marathon and I have been doing some reflecting about what it is that I love so much about running. I don't love the waking up early but I love the feeling after I finish. I don't love being a seriously sweaty mess but I do love feeling like I have earned my breakfast for the day. I don't love sore knees and feeling like my body is telling me I am not 16 anymore but I also love feeling sore and knowing that I can still run every day. I love the therapy sessions with friends, and discussing and finding out that I am not as bad of a mother as I sometimes feel. Or that I am not the only one with certain issues. I love the feeling of accomplishment as well as how much happier I am the days I run. I love the health benefits but for me it is so much more a mental help (honestly!)

My running journey started young. I can remember waking up at 6:00 am in Jr. High to go and work out before school with my dad. I would run on the treadmill...and I couldn't tell ya how fast or far but I knew I loved the feeling I had. I wouldn't say I was consistent by any means but for a 13yr old I guess I knew that me and running were in it for the long haul!

By high school all running was put almost a complete stop as Dance took over my life. Instead of waking up early to run I was waking up early for Drill and Dance company. I would occasionally run but other things took over my life like competitions, dances, boys (well one boy in particular...but he occupied a lot of my time, guess some things never change)

In college running and I got re-acquainted I moved to Boise my freshmen year to dance on the Boise State Drill team. To say I didn't love my freshmen year would be an understatement but I did find my love of running. I would leave my house after classes and run as far as I could before it got dark. I loved running in a new an unfamiliar place. I loved seeing Boise from a different point of view and I especially loved running the green belt. A beautiful track that runs along the river that takes you through the better part of Boise. I loved seeing the wildlife, as well as all the other runners, bikers, bladers. I saw a few things on my run like when a student on a bike accidentally ran over a squirrel which exploded all over the kid. It was totally disgusting but I actually made a friend out of it (we later found out we had an English class together, and we stayed in contact after I moved home to SLC.)

Once I moved home and to Provo my love of running continued. After a couple of years of inconsistent running I decided to run a marathon. So I ran, and ran and ran...I rarely new how far but it was never more then the 1/2 marathon's I did. Looking back I was young, and obviously a little clueless. I only wish I could do that now. I ran the 1st marathon with Chris, who had only been home off of his mission for a couple of weeks and hit two brothers. My second marathon I did after I had kids, I ran it with my BFF Meg and again I never ran further then the 13.1 miles I did at my 1/2 marathons. The second one was much more difficult and I finished 30 minutes later then my first time...but at least I finished.

After having kids I thought I will never run a marathon again. There is way too much time involved and when would I find the time. I found a running buddy that whipped my butt into shape (thanks Jill) and at least got me loving running again. I started to find that I needed the running for the outlet more then anything else...and I started calling it my therapy session. Jill will always hold a special place in my heart (for many reasons...she is just a very amazing person all around and I felt lucky to get to know her so well on our runs!)

Then came Audrey and came the drive...Marathon time again. Lucky for me I have a sister-in-law that talked me into it, and a neighbor to train with. This time around I have actually trained. I just finished running 18 miles this morning and I can honestly say I loved every second of it. I loved the hills and the unexpected pit stops and getting lost there for a min. I loved it all. I am so excited for the marathon, I don't know that I will ever beat my first marathon time but I will be so happy to finish the marathon and know I got a few new running buddies along the way. All in all running I believe will always be apart of my life, and as long as my body is able I am grateful to be able to get out their and RUN!!!

8 comments:

Emily Judd said...

love this Brittani! So fun to run!

Hughes said...

This was a GREAT post. I have a bunch of SLC friends that run the same marathons as you, and I really enjoy reading all your posts before and after your marathons. It is kinda inspiring to me. I have said for the past several years I would love to do a marathon. Maybe I should start now!

Pew Family said...

Great Post! Running is so great, a perfect outlet for me also! You inspire me to maybe one day do a marathon myself. Good luck with the rest of your training and your race! You'll do such an amazing job!

Simeona Family said...

Britt- You are awesome and I know that you are a super mom, and a super wife. A lady that I met at my half marathon this morning told me "Self-care is not selfish". I am glad to see that you are taking time to take care of yourself because I know that makes you better for your family. You are awesome and an inspiration!!

Jake and Kim said...

Brittani you are one amazing woman!! I can't believe you are training for a marathon, teaching dance, and first and foremost being the fantastic mom and wife that you are. HOW DO YOU DO IT!? Good luck on the Marathon, you will do so awesome :)

NatBug said...

Loved reading this Brit! I have a goal to run the Riverton 1/2 for my first 1/2 next year. My problem is finding time to run. How do you do it? I would run in the dark when the kids are sleeping, but that makes my husband uncomfortable! That and running alone.

Jill Bowcutt said...

K, you made me cry :( I really miss u and our "therapy" sessions. And stretching at the corner, talking about family drama(haha), the hill up to 3600 west, slipping on the ice, finishing our run and looking like the abominable snowman with snow covering our face and hair (wait, maybe I don't miss that), and being able to vent to someone who didn't think I was crazy! Keep up the good work on your training. You're almost done!!Call me after the race and let me know how you feel.

Hansen Family said...

Your amazing that's all i can say! I need some of your drive to et me going


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer