Monday, February 7, 2011

Adventures in Toilet Training!

Well we started potty training right after the dance recital, way back in December. In my heart of hearts I thought that would give me two full weeks to focus on potty training and that by January she would be totally potty trained (yes I had completely unrealistic expectations, ha ha ha!)

Anyways here we are into February and I am still having potty training woes. Lydia does great with #1, we are even to the point that she does the "potty dance" And she will even ask or tell us she needs to go to the bath room. #2 is a totally different story. For some reason she was good at first and then within the past two weeks she has decided that she will NOT go #2 on the toilet. She literally holds it in until when she finally needs to go it is so painful. I have also tried just about every thing I can think to get her to go.
#1. Bribery...she loves the game "hungry, hungry, hippos" and she loves getting her nails pointed so we tried using those two as bribes, I even told her about a new game called "Gator Golf" and she acted excited about it, but not enough to go to the bathroom.
#2. Down right scaring her: I have a friend that told me she used to tell her son that the Gypsies would come and take him if he didn't go to the bathroom, so I decided to tell her the police are going to come and get her. I even went as far as to ring the doorbell and tell her the police were here to get her. I stopped that after Chris scolded me telling me that I was villianizing the police and she should see them as the good guys not bad guys. So it didn't work and I decided that Chris was right.
#3. The medical route: I tried using my DoTerra oils and telling her that the medicine would make it all better...she acted receptive but didn't go.

And Finally I tried #4 positive affirmations: We started talking to her poop and telling it to get out of her bum. We would tell it that it would have a great life in the sewers with all the other little poops (ha ha ha!)

It has even gotten to the point that Chris and I decided to let her run around without underwear, we thought she won't just poop on the carpet so she will come and tell us she needs to go. I was cleaning the house, Chris was down working on the computer and Lydia was playing in her play room. About 20 minutes later Lydia came up and said "look mom!" I looked and didn't really believe my eyes, all I could think was that Chris was playing a really sick joke on me. As I got closer I realized that our rational was WAY off. Yes she had pooped and to top it off she brought it up stairs to give to me. I freaked out and told her to go and throw it in the toilet...dry heaving the whole way there.

Finally after many discussions with several parents (a friend who is a pediatrician as well) We have decided to cool it. We don't make a big deal of it, and if she says she doesn't want to go and we can tell she needs to we just put her in a pull up and pretend we don't care.

Then we had a break through...after Church she tooted, which is usually our first signal that she needs to go so Chris said Lydia let's go potty. Usually she has a HUGE melt down, throws herself on the ground and freaks out. She finally just surrendered, went to the bathroom with Chris and a few minutes later she went. Now I'm not getting my hopes up by any means but it is progress...and to say the least "I'll take it!"

Anyways to all you parents who have been there, and lived to tell the tale....I would LOVE to hear your advice!
Had to add this pic...Audrey loves BATH TIME!!!
My Other darling little girlie...notice the painted nails! Yesterday when she went we rewarded her with every reward we could think of (ha ha ha!)



6 comments:

Heather Strong said...

Emmett is the same way. He goes pee in the potty but has refused to poop in it. He never has pooped in it. He won't even discuss it and I tried everything that I could think of and everything that everyone suggested. Finally, we just let him wear pull-ups and he pees in the potty but then poops in the pull-ups, so he is sort of half potty-trained. It works for now.

Kyle and Megan said...

Corbin struggled with pooping in the potty as well. Our friends ended up giving us the book "Everybody Poops." It is the strangest book I have ever read but Corbin really enjoyed it and it seemed to help him understand that pooping is a very natural thing and that we need to poop in the potty. Also when we trained him we used the reward system with him where he would get like an m&m for peeing but when he pooped he got a bigger treat like a little dum dum sucker or something else. Good luck!
P.S. Your girls are so cute!

Hughes Family said...

Michael is so uninterested in potty training. We started back in september, and I have yet to see him go potty. Now his preschool is a different story. They tell me he goes pee in there. Why not at home? I am just hoping he is potty trained before kindergarten. I don't want to pressure him because that could backfire and well, you just don't want to do that but why tell us AFTER you have gone poo-poo when you could tell us before and we can take you to the potty. awh, the fun!!

Alex, Brad, Carly & Devin said...

Alex isn't potty trained. He wants nothing to do with it. I am hoping he will just decide he wants to do it. We will see. Definitely not pushing the idea is a good thing. You don't want to make it something she hates, then it makes it a lot harder. I heard you could try bribing her with half of something just to sit on the potty and then give her the other half after she goes. Something special, like Potty Cookies or something. Haven't tried it myself. But heard it works.

Momma Fish said...

What a pain potty training is. Our pediatrician told us to wait until he was ready. He said it's a har thing to force on kids. Sure enough, right around birthday number 3 he was ready. 2 days and 2 accidents later he was potty trained. We tossed the diapers so no one would be tempted to go back. Not an accident since. Even at night. Good luck!

Jill Bowcutt said...

haha! This is hillarious...and discusting! I've heard that this happens a lot. How wierd. We just started potty training Tage yesterday. So far so good but he hasn't gone #2 yet so we'll see. Audrey is seriously such a beautiful baby! I'm so happy she's so good for you!


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer