Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Rains came down, and the floods came up!

Wednesday night before Lydia went to bed she asked if we could go to the swimming pool in the morning. I had a doctor's appointment and on the way home stopped at costco to get a prescription filled when a huge rain storm hit. I was on the phone with Chris and he asked if I was home, I could barley hear him it was so loud in there from the tin roof and all and I didn't think anything of it. Got home fed Liddy lunch, put her down for a nap and went down stairs to check my e-mails and get the studio ready before classes started. Well little did I know what was waiting at the bottom of the stairs.
First of all as soon as I stepped down from the last step the carpet was soaking (me being really bright..ha ha ha!) though "What the heck, did our water softener leak?" uh duh!!! After checking the utility room, which is right across from the stairs and seeing that it was bone dry I continued to the foyer of the studio, all the while stepping on soaking wet carpet and this is what I found...

I promise my floors weren't that dirty ha ha ha!

The cold storage there was at least 2 inches, it easily went up to my ankles.
Luckily for us Chris had recently installed new shelves so all of our food storage was off the floor. The only casualty in that room was the card board box with all the tools in it (yeah!)
The water had already gone down a little by the time I got down stairs
Any one for a swim?
We have had flooding before but it never got past a certain point, this time there was like a pool of water in the studio I cleaned that up before I took photo's due to class starting in 1 hr
Welcome to our soggy abode!

It wasn't just watery it was MUDDY!


It was a huge head ache, but we were so lucky compared to some in our neighborhood. The builder has been understanding and realized that our home is graded incorrectly, as well as the drain that doesn't work (we have asked them to fix it on more than one occasion) so they are replacing the carpet, and regrading our yard. All in all it was a soggy mess and we are still drying out and hopefully by monday it won't smell like a mineral cave in our basement any more (ha ha ha!0


7 comments:

Heather Strong said...

Oh my gosh Britt! That is awful!! I am so glad that you guys are able to get things taken care of. What a pain!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness you poor poor thing. I think I would have cancelled class and just sat and stared at the mess and cried. Good for you for being proactive!!!

Jill Bowcutt said...

What? When did this happen before! What a mess. Did our house flood? We never had problems before (atleast not with flooding. But falling rocks and covered dryer vents should count for something right!) I'm sorry we weren't there to help bail you guys out:(

Jake and Kim said...

Oh my gosh that is seriously so bad! Your poor studio! aaah so frustrating.

Meg said...

What a mess! It makes me cringe to see all the mud INSIDE your house!! Yuck:0)

NatBug said...

Oh my gosh Brittany, that sucks! I am glad that your builder is going to fix the problem and replace your carpet at least! How awful to have to deal with that.

Aly said...

I am so sorry that you had to deal with all that!! Those pics are are crazy!


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer