Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Provident living...I guess!

Well we have had the food provident/food storage bug lately. For starters this summer Chris built me a grow box which I was so excited about. I had all these plans of a salsa garden, fresh corn on the cob amonst other things. Well let's just say our 1st garden was a slight success. I got a few tomatoes, a couple of little peppers and corn the size that you put on a salad (it didn't help that che' chose to sit on the corn daily and we just couldn't keep him out. Overall I was just glad they we did it and next year we will hopefully have a little more success and if not it was still fun.

Then recently Chris has been on a food storage binge. By that I mean Harmon's had their quaker sale and case lot sale. We have enough captain cruch, maple and brown sugar oatmeal, life cereal, granola bars and quick oats to last us atleast until the end of the world and maybe on into the milleneium (sp)Anyways Chris got so into it we went to three different Harmon's to get the 5 for $5.00 (we got all of the above listed items for $1.00 each) Plus we restocked out canned goods. Anyways it was fun, and it made it even more fun how much Chris got into it. So hopefully it will all last...atleast until the next case lot sale that is!

There are rows of cereal...it is pretty funny



Notice the apple juice, I think we have 8 bottles (ha ha ha!)

Can you say canned good please?



The peppers and one tomato from my amazing garden...ha ha ha!


Chris admiring all of his hard farming work (notice my corn is every which way due to che!)


My cabbage was the real success, they got huge too bad #1 I don't really love cabage and #2 the caterpillar's got to them before I could give them away.



My tomato plants were the real hero's they were transplanted three times before they found their final restin place in the grow box.


4 comments:

Heather Strong said...

I have had the food storage bug lately, too! Although, I may try the freeze-dried route since we don't really eat anything canned and so we don't rotate our stuff - I've thrown away a lot! That is funny Chris got into it, too. If I didn't do ours, we'd die... :)

Allyson White said...

Good for you guys! That food would last about one week in my house with 3 teenagers:)

NatBug said...

I have such good intentions of a garden every year, but it never seems to work to well for me either, I have the same problem times 2...crazy dogs! Your peppers still look delicious though!

Hansen Family said...

I love having a full pantry it makes you feel good! I can't wait to plant my own garden so much fun!


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer