Monday, April 18, 2011

Run Brittani Run!

Well Saturday I ran the Salt Lake City 1/2 Marathon! It was such a fun race. I had to get up extra early to nurse Audrey. Drove down to the gateway and took trax up to "Legacy Bridge" where the starting line was. Luckily this is a "Chip" timed race because I was about 15 minutes late...I was a little sad not to even hear the gun go off, but it was nice not running next to a million people for the first few miles.

I felt so much better running this race, I am not sure if it was due to the weather, the route or the fact that there are so many people all along the coarse cheering you on. Not going to lie I am very driven by positive encouragement (ha ha ha!)

I absolutely LOVED running throughout the streets of Salt Lake, and the finish was AMAZING! I had run this race in 2006 (the only reason I remember is because after I ran that race I passed out on my parents couch and missed my sister in laws baby shower...and Bode is turning 5 this year, weird!) Anyways then I didn't remember it being such a fun race, and I actually remember being quite mad at the finish because they didn't have nearly enough water stations along the route BUT this year it was phenomenal. They had water stations every 2 miles at least, they had so many I really only stopped at 3, but I was glad to have the option. I also loved that they had bathrooms at every stop as well (I didn't use them but again I like to have the option...ha ha ha!)

Overall it was so much fun, I had the camera in my purse so Chris didn't get any pictures but again I loved seeing Lydia up on Chris' shoulder's at the finish line. I know it sounds cheesy but really my family is my motivation, I want to be that mom that is able to do things with my kids until I am 102 (just like my Great Grandma Pearl) Anyways I am so glad I did it and I even took some time off from my last one (about a month ago!)

P.S. I know I am a bit of a boob, but I can say that I got emotional at three different times during the race.

1. Saw a guy in army get up running the 1/2 marathon while holding an american flag...couldn't help but get choked up.

2. Saw a father and mother pushing their handicapped son in a wheel chair, I was totally overcome just thinking I would do the same for my child. It is hard not to get emotional when you see the unconditional love and sacrifice of a parent for their child.

3. A guy dressed as a tiger (yes I know it is weird) literally gave high-5's to every single spectator. He was zigging and zagging the entire race. I couldn't believe how much he was loving running. I followed him for about miles and I literally couldn't take my eyes off of him, here I was just happy to still be running and he was running and enjoying every second of it.

Yes I know I am weird, Chris was laughing so hard...we passed a "GEO" car with American flags in the windows and he asked me if I was going to cry because that car had pride in our country too (ha ha ha!)

I finished in 2hr 03min

I was like 1880 of 4440 (ha ha ha!)

Here are some pics I stole from KSL




3 comments:

Meg said...

good job Britt! You're my inspiration:) I'm very proud to call you my friend! It must've been the Thai pasta that helped you run a faster race!! (ha, ha)

Pew Family said...

Way to go! Shaving time off of your last time is always a good feeling! That dad pushing his son in the wheelchair was incredible, I even got emotional when I saw that! So amazing! Nice job, that's a great time!

Hansen Family said...

Your amazing! Maybe some day I will run with you!


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer