Thursday, October 6, 2011

26.2

October 1st I participated in the St. George Marathon. It was so much fun and definitely worth all the hard work. I felt so lucky to have such a great running buddy my neighbor Emily who talked me into actually training for this, and even though waking up at 4:15 am to do our 20 miler on a Thursday wasn't super fun I was so happy and felt way more prepared (especially since having kids makes training so much harder!)

Anyways we got on the bus around 4:30 am and headed to the top. Once we got up there we were blown away by how many people, fires, bathrooms, and especially people there were. It was cold but not nearly as cold as the 2nd one I did. They even handed out space blankets which made such a HUGE difference. After we both hit up the bathrooms twice, sat around a fire for an hour chatting it up with fellow racers it was finally time to start. Right before I really had to go and the bathroom line was WAY too long so I apologize to any fellow bush people that may or may not have seen a full moon out (ha ha ha!)

We felt so good at the beginning and were keeping way good time. We really wanted to finish 4:15ish which was my first marathon time. We stayed pretty strong through Veyo, and the 2 mile incline hill. Mile 14 hit and I seriously had my doubts that I was going to be able to finish, luckily Emily was able to keep my spirits up and keep me running. Then came mile 20 and we both started to feel the pain. We pushed through it and even though I think so much of it was mental we kept on RUNNING.

The highlight for me was mile 21 when I saw a huge yellow "GO MOMMY" sign with my cute daughters, husband, and best friends the Millers right by. I will say my emotions got the best of me and I started to cry. Those last 5 miles may have been the hardest but I was reminded of why I was doing this crazy race, not just for me but for my family. We finally made it to the finish and we appreciated all the goodies along the way, the misters, popcicles, and especially the ice cold wash cloths!

We finished in 4hr 34 min (if you take out the bathroom breaks along the way it was 4hrs and 27 minutes...my watch keeps track, ha ha ha!) I didn't beat my first marathon time but I did beat my second time and I am extremely happy with that! Nothing beats running through that finish line and knowing that it is all OVER!!! YEAH!!!

Overall it was an incredible race, and experience. Emily and I went running this morning and we are already strategizing how we can do better next year...yes we are that crazy we already can't wait til next year! I feel so blessed to be able to run, dance, play and enjoy so much of life. There really isn't a day that I don't thank my heavenly father for all he has given me, and I am so glad that my cute family was there to share it with me.
So lucky to have such great little cheer-leaders!
Auds and Cash were good sports!
I know I look rough, but hey I just ran 26.2 miles (ha ha ha!)
My cute friends Emily...it was so much fun starting all our training together and finishing it together too!
Are you kidding me...who wouldn't be motivated by this, Can't even express how much I love them!

P.S. Thanks Meg for taking pics, and getting my girls ready. I know Chris was a bit overwhelmed and who are we kidding we love ya to death for it!




6 comments:

Emily Judd said...

love love love this post! reading it makes me not so excited about 4:15 AM again but if it means I get to run another one I'm all for it! :)

Ashley King said...

In one word: INSANE!

I can't believe you managed to train for this with 2 kids. You rule!

Keri said...

That is so awesome! Good job to you girls. I would LOVE to do it with you girls next year. I am going to need the extra motivation after this baby! Ragnar is going to start us off nicely! :)

Jake and Kim said...

How you did this I don't know. But what I do know is you're an inspiration! I love Lydia's little legs sticking out under the Go Mommy sign. So cute.

meggiemiller@comcast.net said...

Britt, you rock!! and you inspire me.

Sarah said...

You are awesome and I idolize you. Seriously.


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer