Thursday, December 16, 2010

Precious Moments

Today I can't help but to be grateful for precious little moments that make life so much more fulfilling. Today last year my best friend Meg and her husband Colby found out that their son Urban wouldn't be coming into this world alive. When I got the text from Meg I couldn't for one second wrap my head around what they would have to go through. When I went to the hospital to see them I couldn't help but cry, cry for their loss, cry for what I knew they had to go through and most of all cry for the fact that they had wanted so badly to be parents for so long and now at 37 weeks that was taken from them again.

Over the past year I have watched Colby and Meg struggle to cope with the reality of losing a child. With trying to adjust to being parents, without the child to hold. I have seen them have their ups and their downs, but all along the way I saw them grow closer as a couple and even closer to their heavenly father.

I don't know what it is like to lose a child, and I pray that I never have to know the pain and agony Colby and Meg have known over this past year. But I do know that I have learned so much from their trail. I have learned to hug my kids a little tighter, and to never take these precious moments we have with our kids for granted. I have learned that you don't have to have kids to be parents. Colby and Meg are the most amazing people ever and I have seen them with their nieces and nephews, I have seen them with my kids and they are true examples of what great parents are. And I have learned most of all that our Heavenly Father has a plan for us that doesn't always make sense to us, but we have to trust and have faith that he knows what we need more than we do.

They are looking forward to welcoming their 2nd son into their family in the next few weeks, and I can't help but imagine that Urban is in heaven telling his baby brother about how lucky he is to be joining their family. About how he needs to stay, but to give mom and dad extra love from him. About how he is going to forget who he is for a little while but they will all be together again and it may feel like a long time, but in the end it will be but a blink of an eye.

Colby and Meghan thank you for all you have taught us, thank you for your examples and thank you for letting us be a part of your life. We truly feel honored to call you friends. We look forward to one day meeting Urban, and we look forward to the day that you get to have your opportunity to raise your first born son!

6 comments:

Shana Smith said...

Oh I cant even imagine the hurt, despaire, anger, hopelessness and the list goes on, with loosing one of your children! The only comforting thing is knowing that we agreed to these trials that our Heavenly Father had planned for us! Although we may be upset with things that happen, especially when losing a precious child, we have the peace and comfort of knowing that families are eternal, and we will again one day be together. Its not the end for us! They gave him his body.. Congrats to Colby and Meghan on their 2nd baby. It may ease the pain on the loss of their first, and fill in that hole just a little bit!! Its stories like this that truly make you reflect on the greater plan that is in store for us. It is a testimony strengthener!

Maranda said...

I wish there was a like button for blog posts. I really don't know what to say here except that I appreciate this post and my heart and prayers continue to go out to Colby and Meghan. These little children truly are nothing short of precious miracles.

The Searle Family said...

Love you Britt, thanks for making me bawl my eyes out. So grateful Meg and Colby have friends like you:)

Meg said...

O-Kay, this is why you are my best friend. It is amazing how you can bring me to tears so easily! Britt, honestly I mean it when I say you have been there for me so much this last year. I have needed you more than you realize. Thanks for always turning negative things into positive and helping me see the good in every situation. I love you. Thank you for this post. It means a lot. Love you, me

NatBug said...

I think that one of your special gifts is the way you express yourself with what you write. That was beautiful, it brought me to tears. Meg and Colby are so lucky to have you as a friend to help them with their loss.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother had to suffer the same thing and it was really awful. When her daughter was born, she was dead because they both share the heart, and nobody wanted to burry her so my grandfather had to do that. Also, nobody let my grandma put a name on her newborn because the baby did not live enough to be considered as a person.
Now I'm in apartment in Buenos Aires with her, and she always remember this.


This is my favorite pic of her holding on to grandpa's finger

Baby Girl

Baby Girl
This is our baby girl at 16 weeks. It was such an amazing thing to see her moving and count all of her fingers and toes for the first time. I know I bawled and Chris won't admitt it, but he was pretty emotional as well.

It's a girl!

It's a girl!

She's going to be a dancer